The McKinney Avenue Contemporary (The MAC) announces the annual Membership Exhibition theme, “Meltdown”. The MAC Board of Directors requests all members to submit works of art in all media from visual to performance art and literary reading relating to the theme Meltdown. This exhibition will open Saturday, August 6th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. with a “Hot as Hell” themed party. The exhibition will run through September 3rd.
meltdown (mɛlt daʊn) (1)
1. (in a nuclear reactor) the melting of the fuel rods as a result of a defect in the cooling system, with the possible escape of radiation into the environment
2. informal a sudden disastrous failure with potential for widespread harm, such as a stock exchange crash
3. informal the process or state of irreversible breakdown or decline: the community is slowly going into meltdown
1. Describes what happens when a person freaks out, cracks, loses control of themselves. Life – reality at large- becomes overwhelming. They just can’t deal with it all. The person may act out, withdraw, become emotional, run, etc..
1. emotional, cultural, social, historical (& technical). You get the idea.
All persons with memberships valid through September 2011 are eligible to submit a work. Entrants must be or become members of the McKinney Avenue Contemporary at the time of submission. Membership applications and information about Membership Benefits can be acquired at the MAC – 3120 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX 752040 or www.the-mac.org. A One (1) Year Artist / Student Membership is $30.
Member Artist Submissions & Requirements
Each artist can submit only one work either visual, performance art or literary reading, but could also participate in one collaborative work.
Visual Art (2-D, 3-D and Electronic Media) cannot exceed 2 feet in any dimension and must be ready to install on date of delivery.
Performance Art / Literary Readings
Performance Art and Literary Readings will be presented during the opening reception.
Please contact the MAC to obtain the criteria for participation and guidelines for Collaborative Works. (214.953.1212 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Work that does not comply with these requirements will not be accepted. The MAC will not refund membership fees to those that have not complied with the submission guidelines.
- All works must be labeled with the following information:
- Artists first and last name
- Title and date of work
- Indication of top of image if necessary for visual art
- Work must have been produced within the 12 months prior to the show.
- Work must not have been previously shown at the MAC.
- Dimensions of work, completed size, not to exceed 2′ in any dimension.
- Work must be ready to hang
- Caption Sheet
Include a copy of a caption sheet with your name, address and contact information at the top left of the page.
The Caption Sheet List should include:
- Date of Work
- Dimensions of Finished Work
- Brief Captions or explanatory notes of work
- Price if the work is for sale
- Phone number of the artist
Drop Off Dates & Deadline
Drop off dates are Saturday, July 30th, Monday, August 1st and Tuesday August, 2nd from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All entries must be received no later than Tuesday, August 2nd at 5:00 p.m.
Notification and Return of Work
The MAC will provide a time and date after the closing of the exhibition for all works to be collected. The MAC requests that artists who sell their work as a result of the show arrange separately for the delivery of the work to the buyer.
The MAC is not responsible for the loss or damage of works while in transit. MAC reserves the right to reproduce accepted works to Membership Exhibition on the MAC website and in any Membership Show advertising or collateral associated with the exhibition. Submission of work to the exhibit indicates acceptance of conditions stated above.
(3) Leslie Connally, The MAC Facility Liaison
About the MAC
Established in 1994, The McKinney Avenue Contemporary (The MAC) is a nonprofit organization that stands as a Dallas advocate for creative freedom offering the opportunity for experimentation and presentation of art in all disciplines. It supports the emerging and established artist roll in society providing a forum for critical dialogue with their audiences. This relationship is cultivated through education and innovative programming. The MAC is a member of Dallas Art Dealers Association and The Uptown Association.
Call 214-953-1212 for information or visit www.the-mac.org. The MAC is open Wednesday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.