Sidewalks spring to life with color and creativity as artists’ imaginations run wild with Chalk Walk on Saturday, April 14, 2012, part of Historic Downtown McKinney’s Arts in Bloom.
Chalk Walk is a street art competition for professional artists and community participants. Families are encouraged to create their own designs in a specially designated area.
Chalk Walk is only one component of Arts in Bloom. Other activities include a young musician piano competition, high school art competition, gallery tours, and live music.
Chalk Walk occurs on the sidewalk surrounding the perimeter of McKinney Performing Arts Center.
Participation is open to all artists. Artists will be designated into either a professional or community participant category.
- Artist must provide a description and conceptual sketch of their intended drawing.
- If an artist is reproducing an image created by another artist living or dead, credit must be provided to the original artist.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing. Images cannot contain logos, no advertising, no religious materials and no commercial messaging. MPAC & McKinney Main Street retain the right to make a final decision on what may be considered “appropriate for public viewing.”
- Artists may only use soft non oil-based chalk/pastels. Artists are prohibited from using acrylic paints, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels and fixatives.
- Artwork must be signed by artist at bottom of image area.
- MPAC reserves the right to take and use photographs for publicity and other purposes.
- Anyone in violations of the rules may be asked to leave the event.
The winner in the Professional category will receive a feature write up in the NeighborsGo section of The Dallas Morning News and a promoted exhibit in MPAC’s Gallery space.
The winner of the Community Participant category will receive complimentary use of MPAC for an event to accommodate 50 people.
How to Apply
Artists may submit an online form to register at:
- Colored chalk (provided)
- Chalk board eraser
- Latex gloves
- Knee pads
- Masking tape
- Chalk line
- Measuring tape
- Sun visor or hat
- Whisk broom
- Cardboard to sit or stand on without disturbing work
For More Information
Contact Amy Rosenthal, McKinney Performing Arts Center, at 972-547-2652