The Arts and Music Guild has been invited to assist the City of McKinney in building the Public Art Collection by co-coordinating with the McKinney Performing Arts Center a new juried art show. Unique by Nature is the theme of this new art competition. Sponsors include citizen leaders dedicated to the growth of the arts in McKinney.
The general guidelines for submitting work for the competition are as follows:
- Two-dimensional and three-dimensional works which respond to the theme Unique by Nature will be considered.
- Artists may submit one or two works. Diptychs and triptychs are allowed, but the pieces must be attached as a single unit, and dimensional restrictions apply as if one piece.
- Submissions cannot exceed 72 inches on any side (including frame, if any).
- The work must have been completed within three years prior to May 5, 2012.
- Works must be hand delivered on May 5 to the McKinney Performing Arts Center.
Finalists will be included in the Unique by Nature exhibit at the McKinney Performing Arts Center. Artwork may be priced for sale during the exhibit. Finalists will be judged by master-artist and teacher, Michael Mentler . Winners will be announced at the opening reception on May 11, 2012. Prize pool will be a minimum of $5000. With the exception of the People’s Choice Award, all winning art will become a permanent part and property of McKinney Performing Art Center’s Public Art Collection.
This is a remarkable step in the City’s support of area artists. Please spread the word. Artists outside of McKinney are welcome, too. A detailed description of the show is being posted on the Guild’s website (artsandmusicguild.org), along with a registration form to be submitted with the artwork on May 5th. It is suggested that artists let the Guild know as soon as possible of their intention to submit work, for spatial planning purposes. An email can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or talk to Annie Royer (214-679-1124).
Volunteers will be needed on the 5th, the 10th, the 11th, and the 23rd. Let Annie know if you are interested.