Power on your computers, iPads, iPhones and head over to the newly designed TWO x TWO website to start bidding on the amazing art and luxury products offered at the 14th annual TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art benefitting the Dallas Museum of Art and amfAR. (www.twoxtwo.org) TWO x TWO’s annual benefit gala dinner and art auction has raised over $35 million in its 13 year history in support of amfAR’s AIDS research initiatives and the DMA’s contemporary art acquisition program.
Cindy and Howard Rachofsky, hosts of the annual event, along with Melissa Meeks, TWO x TWO Director, have pushed the “going live” button for the online catalogue. They have assembled a stellar collection for this year’s auction. The updated website, complete with a new look and feel, allows visitors to bid online or leave absentee bidding so as not miss out on the treasures.
“With the new website linked to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, TWO x TWO has a wider reach than ever,” said Cindy Rachofsky. “The amazing donation by our honored artist Richard Phillips, along with donations of over 140 works of art by renowned artists and dealers will make the 14th year of TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art another one for the record books.”
This year noted art patron, Amy Phelan, is the Event Chair for the October 20 gala and auction. Included in Artnews as one of the top two hundred art collectors, Phelan currently serves on the boards of The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, The Meadows School of the Arts – SMU and Creative Time demonstrating her enduring enthusiasm for and dedication to contemporary art.
Sotheby’s VIP Preview
Sotheby’s will be hosting a VIP preview displaying 47 of the works of art (plus 10 artist handbags for a total of 57 auction items) in New York on September 13. Noted art patrons and TWO x TWO Hosts, Howard and Cindy Rachofsky, will be present at the event along with:
- Melissa Meeks, TWO x TWO Director
- Amy Phelan, TWO x TWO Event Chair
- Richard Phillips, TWO x TWO honoree
- Josephine Meckseper, TWO x TWO featured artist and fiancée of Richard Phillips
- Chuck Webster, TWO x TWO donating artist
- Ken Solomon, TWO x TWO donating artist
- Dr. Maxwell L. Anderson, Eugene McDermott Director, Dallas Museum of Art and his wife, Jacqueline Anderson
- Chris Salgardo, President of Kiehl’s Since 1851, TWO x TWO silent auction sponsor
- Cheyenne Jackson, Former TWO x TWO entertainer, actor on NBC’s “30 Rock”
Richard Phillips will be the recipient of amfAR’s 2012 Award of Excellence for Artistic Contributions to the Fight Against AIDS at the 14th annual event in October. (High-resolution image available upon request.) (http://twoxtwo.org/about/honorees/)
Other artists donating works to the auction include:
- Karla Black – will have a show at the Dallas Museum of Art, opens October 19
- Linder – will have a show at The Goss-Michael Foundation, opens October 19
- Eva Rothchild – will have a show at the Nasher Sculpture Center, opens October 19
- Tom Orr – will have a show at Barry Whistler Gallery, on display September 8 – October 13
- Jim Hodges – past TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art honoree
- April Gornik – past TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art honoree
- Tom Friedman – past TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art honoree
- Mark Manders – Venice Biennale 2013 representative for The Netherlands
Own it Now
The best way to ensure you “own” a piece of art has a new twist. There are three top art experts offering their choices of items not to be missed and will be for sale beginning October 15.
- Howard Rachofsky’s Hidden Gems (TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art host)
- Jeffrey Grove’s Curator’s Choice (The Hoffman Family Senior Curator of Contemporary Art, Dallas Museum of Art)
- Allan Schwartzman’s Under the Radar (renown art curator for The Rachofsky Collection) The particular selections will be marked with the corresponding icon caricature for Howard, Jeffrey, Allan. (Caricatures available upon request.) (http://twoxtwo.org/auction/own-it-now/)
Nancy Gonzalez, the accessories designer celebrated for her unparalled use of precious skins is partnering with TWO x TWO to commission ten world class contemporary artists to each create a one-of-a-kind signature Nancy Gonzalez Leaf Tote bag for the organization’s benefit auction. The matte white crocodile bags will be on display for the first time at the Sotheby’s VIP Preview on September 13. (http://twoxtwo.org/catalogue/2012-2/)
Artists include TWO x TWO honoree Richard Phillips, along with:
- Raqib Shaw
- Jenny Holzer
- Lawrence Weiner
- Will Cotton
- Josephine Meckseper
- Jim Hodges
- Dr. Lakra
- Mickalene Thomas
The 2012 TWO x TWO sponsor list (to date), includes:
- Presenting Sponsor: Neiman Marcus
- Platinum Sponsors: Audi of America, Cartier , Sotheby’s
- Gold Sponsors: Moet Hennessy USA, todd. event design.creative services, Waldman Bros. / Chubb, Flexjet
- Art Sponsor: Waldman Bros. / Chubb
- Art Chairs: Lindsey and Patrick Collins
- Luxury Champagne and Cocktails: Moët Hennessy USA
- Tent Design: Todd Fiscus for todd. event design.creative services
- Gala Dinner Sponsor: US Risk
- Auctioneer: Jamie Niven, Chairman, Sotheby’s, North and South America
- Live Auction Sponsor: AT&T, Inc.
- Design Auction Sponsor: Design Within Reach
- Valet Sponsor: Aston Martin of Dallas
- Silent Auction Sponsor: Kiehl’s Since 1851
- First Look Presenting Sponsor: Karl Lagerfeld by Fossil
- Sunday Brunch Hosts: Amy and Vernon Faulconer, Cindy and Howard Rachofsky, Gagosian Gallery
- Celebrity Travel Sponsor: Tim Headington on behalf of The Joule Hotel
- Technology Sponsor: GDT
- Silver Sponsors: Unified Fine Arts and US Art
- Media Sponsor: FD LUXE
- Catalogue Sponsor: Sotheby’s
- Graphic Design and Printing Sponsor: Texas Graphic Resource Inc.
- Luxury Auction Sponsor: PlainsCapital Bank
- Luxury Auction Donors: Flexjet, Nancy Gonzalez, Hillstone/R+D Kitchen, Kohler, Karl Lagerfeld, Spook Stream
- In-Kind Sponsors: 24 FPS, American Airlines, Audi of America, The Buzzell Company, Cassandra Fine Catering, The Cultured Cup, Displays Unlimited Inc., Ducky-Bob’s Event Specialists, Empire Baking Co., Mike Sandone Productions, Paddle8, Park Cities Hilton, PRO/SOUND, Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, Runyon Fine Arts, Safe Art SAT, Inc., San Pellegrino / Acqua Panna, Skyframe Inc., Stageworks, Strong Travel Services, Suite 206, Switch Lighting, Tart Bakery, The GEM, The Joule Hotel, Whitewall Magazine, Calligraphic Arts, Inc
About TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art
Since its inception, TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art has raised more than $35 million in support of essential AIDS research at amfAR and for the Contemporary Art Acquisitions Fund at the Dallas Museum of Art. TWO x TWO for AIDS and Art is the largest U.S. fundraiser for amfAR and the Dallas Museum of Art and is recognized as one of the top events in Dallas.
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and the advocacy of sound AIDS-related public policy. Since 1985, amfAR has invested more than $340 million in its programs and has awarded grants to more than 2,000 research teams worldwide. Visit www.amfar.org.
The Dallas Museum of Art, established in 1903, has an encyclopedic collection of more than 23,000 works spanning 5,000 years of history and representing all media with renowned strengths in the arts of the ancient Americas, Africa, Indonesia, and South Asia; European and American painting, sculpture, and decorative arts; and American and international contemporary art. Over 120 significant artworks have been acquired by the Museum with proceeds from TWO x TWO.
The Dallas Museum of Art is the anchor of the growing Dallas Arts District and, in all its vitality, serves as a cultural magnet for the city with diverse programming ranging from exhibitions and lectures to concerts, literary readings, and dramatic and dance presentations. The Museum serves more than one-half million visitors a year and offers more than 3,500 education and public programs annually designed to engage people of all ages with the power and excitement of art. Visit www.dallasmuseumofart.org.
About Neiman Marcus
The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc. operations include the Specialty Retail Stores segment and the Direct Marketing segment. The Specialty Retail stores segment consists primarily of Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores. The Direct Marketing segment conducts both print catalog and online operations under the Neiman Marcus, Horchow and Bergdorf Goodman brand names. Information about the Company can be accessed at www.NeimanMarcusGroup.com.