The Big Show 2013
Lawndale Art Center (Houston)
July 12 through August 10, 2013
The Big Show is Lawndale Art Center’s annual open-call, juried exhibition. It has been an important venue through which emerging and under-represented Houston area artists gain exposure since the show’s conception in 1984. The Big Show was formerly the East End Show, sponsored by the East End Progress Association, at Lawndale’s original location.
Each year Lawndale Art Center invites a guest juror to select from work submitted by artists living within 100 miles of Houston. Artists are invited to bring up to three works of art, not previously shown in Houston, to Lawndale Art Center where the work is juried on-site for a chance to be included in the show and a shot at one of three cash prizes.
Entries and Eligibility
- There is a $30 submission fee for up to 3 entries for all non-Lawndale Art Center members. Members receive $5 off the cost of entry.
- Works in all media completed during 2011-2013 will be accepted.
- The exhibition will be juried from actual work.
- Open to all artists living within 100 miles of Lawndale or in the following counties: Angelina, Austin (county), Brazoria, Brazos, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton.
- Artists are limited to three (3) entries. All entries must be submited together on the designated drop-off dates.
- Only original works are eligible. Works publicly exhibited in Houston, created in art classes, or copies of works will be disqualified.
- Works that are not stable enough to endure the exhibition will be disqualified and are not insurable.
- Work must fit through the 81″ x 59″ entrance to the building and be able to be reasonably moved by the artist and volunteers.
- Fragile works, such as drawings or photographs, must be framed or securely mounted under glass or Plexiglas.
- All works must be ready for installation upon submission. Do not submit work which is not ready to handle (i.e. wet paintings or work without hardware).
Drop-off Dates (hand deliver work to Lawndale):
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 – 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Thursday, June 27, 2013 – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Only artists who have work accepted for the exhibition will be notified by telephone on Sunday, June 30, 2013 by 6 p.m.
Pick Up Dates (for work not selected for the exhibition):
July 1 & 2, 2013, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Please note, this entry form is formatted to be printed one-sided. Forms will be available on drop-off dates, but artists are encouraged to fill out their paperwork prior to delivering work to Lawndale to expedite the submission process.
Duncan MacKenzie, Artist/Critic/Writer
and Co-Founder of Bad at Sports
Duncan MacKenzie is an Artist, Pundit, Educator and a Founding Member/Producer of Bad at Sports. His works have appeared in galleries all over the world including Canada, Australia, The United States of America, New Zealand, Estonia and England.
Bad at Sports a project he began with Richard Holland in 2005 is one of the USA largest arts resources and continues to grow every week, currently sharing an archive of 350 hours worth of audio documenting the art history of Chicago, New York City and San Francisco, and over 2000 posts by the best art writers in Chicago.
His work has been discussed in Flash Art, Art Forum, the New York Times, Time Out and many other venues. He is the author of over 250 interviews and has worked with such people as Rodney Graham, Kerry James Marshall, Francesco Bonami, Luc Tuymans, James Elkins, Julie Ault, Carol Becker, James Rondeau, Jeff Wall, and Gavin Turk. He currently enjoys a posting as an Assistant Professor in Art + Design at Columbia College Chicago.
The Big Slide Show
Wednesday & Thursday, August 1 & 2, 2012 at 6 p.m.
Join Lawndale and Houston’s talented Big Show artists for short, informal presentations about their work. Presentations start at 6 p.m. each night at Lawndale Art Center. Come early as seating is limited.